Thursday, December 19, 2013

Years End

It's coming to the end of the 2013 and what a year it's been.  It's a year that saw me marry my "Love Monkey", become a step-dad, have Jimmy move up to live with us, become a hockey parent...and that's all in the past few months!!  At this point I'm not even sure what happened at the beginning of the year because I've been so busy with all the life changes lately!  HAHA.  It's caused me to run around like a chicken with my head cut off at times, fall behind on my blog entries; laugh, smile, shut down, open up, and at times generally feel like I'm losing my God damn mind....and this was all separate from the day to day goings on with the wife's up and down health issues.  It's fun when it's done but sometimes it's a wonder I have any hair left.

As I'm writing this Christmas, is only a few days a way.  I'm behind on everything.  I need to purchase the rest of my presents tomorrow if the weather cooperates  (And before you judge the fact I'm behind, my credit card info was stolen and I was without access to my checking account for the past two weeks because my bank is four hours away.)  The other things; those can be considered my fault however!  I have things I need to finish building and making, I haven't wrapped one thing I did purchase, I have a house and car in need of cleaning before we leave to have the holiday with my family, and I have paperwork I need to finish and mail out ASAP.  Marilyn's health has been up and down constantly, because of the way the house is set up and because we live in such a cold climate it's necessary for one of us to be to up all night watching the heat sources, and sometimes I feel like I'm on the run constantly for Jimmy's hockey practices and games.  (If you're a hockey parent, you have some notion of this kind of schedule)

However, even with everything going on, IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!  I love this time of year for a variety of reasons.  For me the season is much more than simply presents under the tree.  It's a time set aside for family where we can all enjoy one another's company and look back at the previous years trials and tribulations.  It's also a time for hope.  Magic can happen during this time of year, at least it seems that way to me.  I like some of the sappy Christmas movies as I think they have a certain inspirational quality.  Sad to say, it's one of the few times during the year when my faith in humanity becomes absolute.  A little strange, I know.

It's also a time of year where we can look forward to hopes that the next year will or may be just a little better than the previous one.  If not necessarily better, than different if it suits you better.  It's hard to imagine a better year for my family but it doesn't change the fact we have some things we're hoping to improve on.  We're looking to purchase a home further down state.  This will enable many things for us depending on the location.  Marilyn can finally have the pottery studio she both wants and needs.  I can hopefully start a Christmas tree farm and go back to work.  We'll be closer to Jimmy's family.  And my friends and family will be within visiting distance.  Together with that I have hope that next year we'll figure out what's going on with Marilyn's health.  This hope is not currently based on anything particular that's happened but it's a hope I'll have at the end of every year until the puzzle is solved.

This was just kind of a quick "here's what's going on since I haven't written in awhile" post.  I'm hoping that once we're back from holiday I'll be back to posting on a regular basis.  First up for 2014 will be a "resolutions" post.  Stay tuned!  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and don't forget during this time of year to remember the simple things.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment