Sunday, March 26, 2017

Just Do It

I've been sitting here for the past 25 minutes trying to come up with something to write about to no avail. I've been dealing with what I believe to be an inner ear infection that's been clouding my brain and combined with the fatigue from a week of travel, I feel extremely slow on the uptick.  I tried to check in on some in-progress posts but nothing I was writing fit the flows I'd already begun so to the scrap heap the ideas were relegated. I had two paragraphs of a new post that after re-reading I decided sucks and would never see the light of day. It was then that I realized, I may actually be on my way to be becoming a writer.

I'm under no disillusionment that my writing isn't fantastic and I have a long way to go before I could ever be considered professional. That's fine, everyone starts somewhere.  But I realized tonight even though I didn't necessarily want to write and nothing profound was coming to me, here I was, sitting at this computer, trying time after time to put out something worthy of being seen.  Sure, nothing thus far has worked but that's not the point.  The point is, not matter how good or bad the writing, I'm still doing it.  And that's a big step. Steven Pressfield, in his book, "The War of Art", calls it overcoming your resistance. Resistance will always do things to try and insure you don't follow your dreams and callings.  By sitting in front of my laptop and working, today I'm overcoming that resistance.  Sure, I'll have to face it again tomorrow but that's no matter because today I've achieved a victory.  Tomorrow I'll also be back in the gym and will get some more studying in because I have pursuits in those two fields as well.  Because I'm putting work in, I'm setting the foundation for achievements.  Sure, there is generally nothing fancy about setting foundations but without them nothing else matters.  You can design the most beautiful building ever imagined but if you don't insure the foundation is built properly you'll end up with nothing but a pile of rubble and probably a lifetime of court fees and lawsuit payouts.  No matter how good tonight's post is or isn't, another brick has been laid in my foundation.



I'm often faced with a similar decision when it comes to training and admittedly, I've often bitched out when given the chance.  But as with today's writing, sometimes all it takes is getting started.  I'm now on my third paragraph because I forced myself to sit and write until I was making some sense.  Training is the same way. I can't count the number of times I've forced myself to start my warm up and once I did, the rest took care of itself.  Now, that's not to say the workout will be a great but getting through rough ones can be accomplishments and confidence builders themselves.  It's the same with my post tonight.  I'm battling through and though this certainly won't be my best or favorite post I've written, it will be completed and published and therefore, a victory. 

Though most would prefer that everything they do to be top notch, that's not always going to happen. Acknowledging that allows us to keep pushing through the frustrations that life can present. If you want to write, try and sit once or twice a week to start and just put some words on paper or the computer.  If you want to paint, get the materials, and set some time aside this week.  If you want to begin getting into better physical shape, don't start off a million miles an hour and burn yourself out, start slow with some small changes that you don't just feel you can build on, but you believe you can complete when life tries to get in the way.  And when it does try to get in the way, and it will, remember those are the times when it's most necessary to try and get your work in because if you can create accomplishments on those days you can create them everyday.             
    

No comments:

Post a Comment