Monday, April 17, 2017

Rough Week Part 2

The previous post covered my getting sick and how I related that to both the need to take the next step in training and nutrition as well as discussing the potential means and processes I'm looking at undertaking to advance my physical well-being.  I also mentioned that it wasn't just the illness that had begun my thinking, it was a rough visit to the doctor's office.  The news was not unexpected but just the same, when preventable medical issues are discussed as a result of your physical (un)well being, there are only two real roads to take; acceptance or change.

Before I go any further, nothing I'm going to discuss pertains to an immediate death or anything along those lines.  Of course, I can't say that it's impossible because medical problems arise from nowhere all the time, but nothing the doctor and I covered concerned the presentation of immediate issues for me.  However, at 34 years old the standards of my visits are also changing.  I remember 20 years ago when the most pressing question was whether it was an appointment that required dropping trough and turning my head to cough. Now I'm only a few years away from bending over the table on a semi regular basis so the doctor can use his digits to check my colon health.  While I'm not quite at that level yet, there are certainly more conversations revolving around my diet and exercise patterns.  There have been more discussions regarding regular blood work and physical testing.  There are potential neurological exams in my future (result of repeated head trauma, not age necessarily).  Gone are the days when, "it's OK now but if you don't make changes it won't be" because that future has arrived and according to the awesome lady I met with the other day, not changing now means I'll be starting the medication train soon, likely within a year.

Funny until it's not.
As I mentioned, my appointment the other day was not very good. I'd originally gone in for what I believed to be an inner ear infection that I hadn't been able to get rid of.  It was having side effects that were annoying as hell and I both wanted and needed it gone.  That part of the appointment was relatively quick but as it was a new provider, she wanted to cover some information in my chart.  That was when she revealed I'm borderline diabetic.  I knew I was close but the previous doctor told me I was still within the normal range and not to be too concerned.  (Not long following the initial testing I had my accident last summer so even though I wanted to jump into making immediate corrections, it was not possible)  While technically true, this nice lady actually gave me the damn truth and informed me about how close I really am. It wasn't wholly surprising but for some reason it clicked much louder to hear it from someone who makes their life's work to study such things.  She was no bullshit in our discussion and I appreciated it.  She also checked my legs and while it was not definitive, she also mentioned there's a good possibility that I'm on the verge of developing gout as well, which Google defines as,"a disease in which defective metabolism of uric acid causes arthritis, especially in the smaller bones of the feet, deposition of chalkstones, and episodes of acute pain."  A further breakdown is available here but basically it's a whole lot of preventable pain.  Sounds like a good time doesn't it?



Fortunately, there is good news.  Nothing thus far is irreversible.  My blood pressure is generally good, coming in at 120/80 90% of the time.  (It was off the other day but as I mentioned, I was on the verge of this illness hitting full bore).  I'm active and getting more so as my head and the weather have improved.  My knowledge of things fitness and nutrition is advancing daily.  I've fully acknowledged that I can't continue to walk around at 300 plus pounds without repercussions for much longer (more to come on THIS topic later) and I'm going to have to make serious changes if I want to be around for the long haul. I've also acknowledged that I do NOT have a good relationship with food and perhaps never will and it's going to be necessary for me to find ways to insure that I'm eating more for health than pleasure.  Following the 80/20 rule is probably a good place to start for me.  What's the 80/20 rule?  It's the idea if one eats healthy 80% of the time while allowing for some indulgences 20% of the time, weight will not only be lost but maintained once the desired loss results are achieved.  Of course, I'm planning to be stricter than that but having some leeway if you go out to dinner or a birthday party, things along those lines, will mentally provide me with the necessary mindset to continue working towards my goals without building frustrations.  Essentially, I'm trying to set myself up for as much success as possible while reducing the chance of mental fatigue.  As mentioned in the previous post I'm also planning to continue studying and incorporating more fasting into daily life because it makes me feel good.  There are also a lot of foods I'll be looking at eliminating because it's become apparent how they affect not just my health, but my daily energy and mind function.  


I got really hungry searching for this picture..
There are many things to learn and many things to try.  Sorting the wheat from the chaff can be a little difficult but there is much information available to help if you know where to look.  I'm currently putting together another entry that will give some names and sites I frequent for questions and education that I'm hoping will be posted in the next month.  However, I think a good place to begin for many people is to simply question ones self about whether they believe the choices they're making are good ones.  Some are easy; should I have the piece of cake or the fruit salad.  Others are more difficult; should I have the baked chicken or the steamed fish.  (Seriously, if you're a beginner and not working with a dietitian or other nutrition professional, just pat yourself on the back for making those your two choices.)  When you get to the point of counting nutrients those decisions will become much more clear but if you're reading this post, my assumption is you're not there yet and frankly, neither am I.  Making large changes is a process and you're not going to figure everything out in a day, not matter what the 3 AM infomercials tell you.  Check in with your Dr, sign up with a nutrition professional, find a plan you think will work for you, or even create your own if you think you can, and work to follow it.  Admit to yourself when you fail and then continue moving forward.  The journey will be long and arduous but you, and me too, will be better for it in the long run.  
One meal, One day, One month, One year at a time, we improve.

Please feel free to comment with your weight or health journey, no matter where you are on it.  I'm hoping to revisit this post a year from now to see where myself, and perhaps others are in the process.          









  

No comments:

Post a Comment